Sunday, March 21, 2010

New Kid on the Block

Ok, I have been a nurse for 20+ years and I am a more mature woman. I have worked in many nursing facilities. I have never been treated so well until now, however there is a little humor in it.

Most places when the new kid on the block start they will give you an orientation. Well, orientation in most places is you being thrown to the wolves. I have been at this new place since March 1. I have had three days of orientation on day shift and three days on second shift on one floor. This week I worked an employee's shift that was out all week. That's 40 hours and did a good job. It was rough but I did it. I worked this weekend, both Sat and Sun 7a - 3p. The Director of Nursing called around 1p. She told me that she was very pleased with me and how I just took charge. She informed me that she was expecting phone calls from me with multiple questions. She told me that her staff that has been there for years call her every weekend. I assured her that if I absolutely needed her I would call. I told her that today was crazy and I had a lot of interruptions and was not going to be done by 3:30p. Before we hung up, I asked, "Before we hang up did you need something?" I was afraid that she might have forgotten why she called because of our conversation. Her reply, "No, I was calling you to give you support." Wow! I thought, you really care. It wasn't about 15 minutes later another nurse called to see how I was making out. I told her that I was doing all right, very busy, hard to get my work done because of interruptions. She wanted to continue to talk, I wanted to do my work. I am very grateful that this place cares, but let me get my work done! I don't want to work overtime, I wanna go home.
The humor is, get frustrated with facilities that throw you to the wolves and then frustrated with the one facility that really cares and keeps you from getting your work done.

Really, I am very fortunate to have found such a nice place to work and the staff are nice also. There is definitely teamwork in this place. I enjoy being a nurse, it is very hard work, both physical and mental. Most days I have to make a game out of my tasks so that I don't become resentful for all the work that is put upon a nurse. Too much work, not enough hours. The hard part is when you care to do your very best and not allotted the time to give that special touch to someone who might require a little more attention. That is what breaks my heart. I just do the best I can and pray that the Lord will take care of the rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment