Friday, March 12, 2010

Regrets

I hear many people discuss regrets and I am guilty of it myself. I have to remind myself that they shouldn't be regrets. The past is the past and at the time of any situation that we endeavor we make decisions on what we know at that time and/or emotional decisions. As we mature we are learning from our past choices and possibly from results of other's choices. I strongly believe that we cannot change our past, however we can change our future. I don't know where I heard that, but it has been with me for many years.

My mother for instance feels bad that she didn't engage in an activity that her mother was requesting from her while my mother was in her late forties. I explained to my mother that she should not have regrets, because at the time my mother's belief in what my grandmother was requesting of her was not in agreement with her morals. My mother was standing up to what she believed in at that time. We make daily decisions for whatever reason, it may or may not be the proper or best decision, but no matter what, that decision was right for that moment.

Somewhere in the Lord's word which I am having trouble finding, it states something like this: a wise man learns from his elders mistakes but a foolish man does what ever he desires. I am guessing that this would be in Proverbs. If you know of the passage please feel free to inform me.

No comments:

Post a Comment